Sells life, property, casualty, health, automotive, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as an independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
This career is part of the Finance cluster Insurance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Customizes insurance programs to suit individual customers, often covering a variety of risks.
- Sells various types of insurance policies to businesses and individuals on behalf of insurance companies, including automobile, fire, life, property, medical and dental insurance, or specialized policies, such as marine, farm/crop, and medical malpractice.
- Explains features, advantages, and disadvantages of various policies to promote sale of insurance plans.
- Performs administrative tasks, such as maintaining records and handling policy renewals.
- Seeks out new clients and develops clientele by networking to find new customers and generate lists of prospective clients.
- Calls on policyholders to deliver and explain policy, to analyze insurance program and suggest additions or changes, or to change beneficiaries.
- Confers with clients to obtain and provide information when claims are made on a policy.
- Interviews prospective clients to obtain data about their financial resources and needs, the physical condition of the person or property to be insured, and to discuss any existing coverage.
- Contacts underwriter and submit forms to obtain binder coverage.
- Selects company that offers type of coverage requested by client to underwrite policy.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.