Provides healthcare services typically performed by a physician, under the supervision of a physician. Conducts complete physicals, provides treatment, and counsels patients. May, in some cases, prescribe medication. Must graduate from an accredited educational program for physician assistants.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Examines patients to obtain information about their physical condition.
- Makes tentative diagnoses and decisions about management and treatment of patients.
- Prescribes therapy or medication with physician approval.
- Administers or orders diagnostic tests, such as x-ray, electrocardiogram, and laboratory tests.
- Interprets diagnostic test results for deviations from normal.
- Obtains, compiles and records patient medical data, including health history, progress notes and results of physical examination.
- Instructs and counsels patients about prescribed therapeutic regimens, normal growth and development, family planning, emotional problems of daily living, and health maintenance.
- Visits and observes patients on hospital rounds or house calls, updating charts, ordering therapy, and reporting back to physician.
- Provides physicians with assistance during surgery or complicated medical procedures.
- Performs therapeutic procedures, such as injections, immunizations, suturing and wound care, and infection management.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.