Operates power pumps and auxiliary equipment to produce flow of oil or gas from wells in oil field.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Transportation Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors control panels during pumping operations to ensure that materials are being pumped at the correct pressure, density, rate, and concentration.
- Operates engines and pumps to shut off wells according to production schedules, and to switch flow of oil into storage tanks.
- Performs routine maintenance on vehicles and equipment.
- Repairs gas and oil meters and gauges.
- Unloads and assembles pipes and pumping equipment, using hand tools.
- Attaches pumps and hoses to wellheads.
- Starts compressor engines and diverts oil from storage tanks into compressor units and auxiliary equipment to recover natural gas from oil.
- Opens valves to return compressed gas to bottoms of specified wells to repressurize them and force oil to surface.
- Supervises oil pumpers and other workers engaged in producing oil from wells.
- Drives trucks to transport high-pressure pumping equipment, and chemicals, fluids, or gases to be pumped into wells.