Sorts mail for delivery, and delivers mail along an established route by vehicle or on foot.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Obtains signed receipts for registered, certified, and insured mail; collects associated charges; and completes any necessary paperwork.
- Sorts mail for delivery, arranging it in delivery sequence.
- Delivers mail to residences and business establishments along specified routes by walking and/or driving, using a combination of satchels, carts, cars, and small trucks.
- Returns to the post office with mail collected from homes, businesses, and public mailboxes.
- Turns in money and receipts collected along mail routes.
- Signs for cash-on-delivery and registered mail before leaving the post office.
- Records address changes and redirects mail for those addresses.
- Holds mail for customers who are away from delivery locations.
- Bundles mail in preparation for delivery or transportation to relay boxes.
- Leaves notices telling patrons where to collect mail that could not be delivered.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.