Sorts mail for delivery. Delivers mail on established route by vehicle or on foot.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Scans labels on letters or parcels to confirm receipt.
- Obtains signed receipts for registered, certified, and insured mail, collects associated charges, and completes any necessary paperwork.
- Returns to the post office with mail collected from homes, businesses, and public mailboxes.
- Sorts mail for delivery, arranging it in delivery sequence.
- Delivers mail to residences and business establishments along specified routes by walking or driving, using a combination of satchels, carts, cars, and small trucks.
- Meets schedules for the collection and return of mail.
- Signs for cash-on-delivery and registered mail before leaving the post office.
- Holds mail for customers who are away from delivery locations.
- Turns in money and receipts collected along mail routes.
- Leaves notices telling patrons where to collect mail that could not be delivered.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.