Loads and unloads chemicals and bulk solids, such as coal, sand, and grain into or from tank cars, trucks, or ships using material moving equipment. May perform a variety of other tasks relating to shipment of products. May gauge or sample shipping tanks and test them for leaks.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Transportation Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Starts pumps, and adjusts valves to regulate the flow of products.
- Unloads cars by connecting hoses to outlet plugs and pumping compressed air into a car to force the liquid into a storage tank.
- Weighs and inspects vessels to prevent contamination and to ensure compliance with loading procedures.
- Tests and inspects vessels for leaks, damage, and defects, and reports the need for repairs.
- Reads meters to verify the content, temperature, and volume of the load.
- Copies and tacks load specifications onto a tank, and seals outlet valves on a tank car, barge, or truck.
- Records operating data, such as quantities pumped, gauge readings, and operating time, either manually or using computer.