Prepares medications under the direction of a pharmacist. May measure, mix, count out, label, and record amounts and dosages of medications according to prescription orders.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Receives written prescription or refill requests and verifies that information is complete and accurate.
- Prepacks bulk medicines, fills bottles with prescribed medications, and types and affixes labels.
- Answers telephones, responding to questions or requests.
- Maintains proper storage and security conditions for drugs.
- Assists customers by answering simple questions, locating items, or referring them to the pharmacist for medication information.
- Prices and files prescriptions that have been filled.
- Establishes or maintains patient profiles, including lists of medications taken by individual patients.
- Orders, labels, and counts stock of medications, chemicals, or supplies and enters inventory data into computer.
- Receives and stores incoming supplies, verifies quantities against invoices, checks for outdated medications in current inventory, and informs supervisors of stock needs and shortages.
- Mixes pharmaceutical preparations, according to written prescriptions.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.