Effective as of September 1, 2013
- The personal identifying information we collect
- Reasons we collect personal identifying information
- Creating an account when you are under 13 years of age
- Ways in which personal identifying information may be used
- With whom personal identifying information may be shared
- Security measures to protect information entrusted to XAP and OKcollegestart.org
- Modifying and deleting your information
THE PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION WE COLLECT
OKcollegestart.org collects personal identifying information from you including, but not limited to, your name, date of birth, address, e-mail address, telephone number, grade level, parent's e-mail address, current high school, graduation date, such additional information as you choose to include in your user profile or are required to provide by the college and financial aid applications that you choose to complete, and information associated with activities you have undertaken on OKcollegestart.org.
REASONS WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
OKcollegestart.org collects personal information from you for three reasons. The first reason is to perform a task on OKcollegestart.org, such as filling out a specific college admission application, requested by you. The second reason is to enable you to submit, in a convenient and efficient manner, information that is likely to be needed when you complete college admission, financial aid and other applications and forms made available through OKcollegestart.org or undertake a scholarship search on OKcollegestart.org. The third reason is to enable XAP to respond to your questions or contact you when necessary in connection with the functioning of OKcollegestart.org. When the effective functioning of an OKcollegestart.org module does not require personal information, none is collected, and any such module can be accessed without opening an account or providing any personal data.
When you log on to OKcollegestart.org, your browser will automatically transmit to OKcollegestart.org the IP address of your computer and type of browser you are using. Although your browser transmits the IP address of your computer, this IP address is not associated with any personally identifiable information regarding you. OKcollegestart.org does not collect any personally identifiable information other than what users submit and their browsers transmit.
CREATING AN ACCOUNT WHEN YOU ARE UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE
If you are not yet 13 years of age, OKcollegestart.org will allow you to create an account but will not collect any personal identifying information from you. Some features of OKcollegestart.org, such as the Resume Builder, that require personal information for effective use, will not be available. If you are 13 years of age or older, you are encouraged to create an account on OKcollegestart.org and to utilize all of OKcollegestart.org, which will help you plan, prepare and pay for your future education.
WAYS IN WHICH PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION MAY BE USED
OKcollegestart.org will use your personal identifying information to complete the following forms and surveys, to obtain information for you and to effect transactions on your behalf, in each case only upon your instructions to do so:
- Complete applications for admission.
- Complete financial aid applications.
- Complete financial aid calculators.
- Complete a scholarship search.
- Complete Your Plan of Study, which can assist you in selecting courses and otherwise planning to meet college admission requirements.
- Communicate your requests for information or material to colleges or other institutions you have specified.
Your personal identifying information may also be used for the following purposes:
- We may use your identifying information to help diagnose problems with the servers servicing OKcollegestart.org and to administer the OKcollegestart.org website.
- Summary data representing a compilation of aggregate data representing OKcollegestart.org users may be collected by XAP and provided to various entities including colleges and other educational institutions utilizing OKcollegestart.org. NO PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION IS MADE AVAILABLE AS PART OF THESE SUMMARY REPORTS. Some examples of summary data are the number of monthly visitors to OKcollegestart.org, the number of admission applications submitted through OKcollegestart.org, and the OKcollegestart.org functions utilized by students in specified age or grade ranges.
WITH WHOM PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION MAY BE SHARED
Any time you request that we perform a task that involves a transfer of data, the data related to the performance of a task will be made available to a recipient you designate or to a service provider assisting us in completing that task. For example:
- If you submit an application for admission to a college or other educational institution, the personal data required to complete that application will be provided on your behalf to the admissions office of the institution to which you are applying.
- If you request that a college or other educational institution send you material, your contact information will be provided to that institution.
Note: If you start an application for admission to a college or other educational institution, your name and other data entered on that application may be provided to the admissions office of that institution, even though you have not yet submitted that application to that institution.
If you connect your account to a school or other site using OKcollegestart.org as part of a career and education planning program, then professional staff at that school or site, designated by the administration of the school or site to have access to the OKcollegestart.org Professional Center, will be able to view your OKcollegestart.org portfolio including personally identifying information about you. This access is granted to these professional users so that they may assist you in a guidance capacity with your career and education planning. You have the option of not connecting your account to a school or site and making full use of OKcollegestart.org as an independent user.
SECURITY MEASURES TO PREVENT MISUSE OF INFORMATION ENTRUSTED TO OKCOLLEGESTART.ORG
OKcollegestart.org causes the data you input to be encrypted when in route between your browser and the OKcollegestart.org server and when in route between the OKcollegestart.org server and some other browser or server. This practice helps prevent unauthorized third parties from intercepting and gaining access to your private data during transmission over the Internet. OKcollegestart.org uses 128-bit, Secure Socket Layer encryption that is supported by both Netscape’s and Microsoft’s browsers.
Data residing on the OKcollegestart.org server is password protected, and access is provided only to the account holder who created the password, anyone to whom that account holder entrusted the password, counselors with whom the account holder has authorized to view the data, and those employees of XAP who require such access to administer and maintain the OKcollegestart.org system or to provide requested customer support to users of OKcollegestart.org. Each XAP employee who has access to the data residing on the OKcollegestart.org server has agreed in writing to respect the privacy of all such personal data.
Don't want cookies?
MODIFYING AND DELETING YOUR INFORMATION
You may update, otherwise modify or delete from the data stored on OKcollegestart.org any personal information you previously provided. To modify personal information, (i) sign in to OKcollegestart.org, (ii) access either your portfolio or an application containing the information you want to change, and (iii) modify that information using standard word-processing techniques. To delete personal information that is not a required field to be completed in your portfolio, (i) sign in to OKcollegestart.org, (ii) access your portfolio, and (iii) delete the information you want to remove from OKcollegestart.org using standard word-processing techniques and (iv) save the change. To delete personal information that is a required field to be completed in your portfolio, you will need to contact XAP at 1-800-GO-TO-XAP and request that your profile to be deleted. XAP will verify your identity prior to deleting your record permanently on the system. Please recognize that if you delete information, it will no longer be available on OKcollegestart.org so that, for example, if a college to which you previously submitted an application were to attempt to retrieve that application from OKcollegestart.org after you made the deletion, the deleted information would no longer be accessible. Similarly, when accessed over OKcollegestart.org, information that has been updated or otherwise modified will appear in its then-most current form, rather than in the form in which it may have been submitted at some earlier time.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement and the privacy practices on this site, you may contact us at support@OKcollegestart.org.