Observes, researches, and interprets astronomical phenomena to increase basic knowledge or apply such information to practical problems.
This career is part of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics cluster Science and Mathematics pathway.
A person in this career:
- Studies celestial phenomena, using a variety of ground-based and space-borne telescopes and scientific instruments.
- Analyzes research data to determine its significance, using computers.
- Presents research at scientific conferences and in scientific journals.
- Measures radio, infrared, gamma, and x-ray emissions from extraterrestrial sources.
- Develops theories based on personal and other astronomers observations.
- Raises funds for scientific research.
- Collaborates with other astronomers on research, develops theories, and presents findings.
- Develops instrumentation and software for astronomical observation and analysis.
- Teaches astronomy or astrophysics.
- Develops astronomy-related programs for public presentation.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.