Space operations specialists handle space warning and control systems, orbital mechanics, data analysis, and transmission. These specialists operate space systems to perform space control missions.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster National Security pathway.
A person in this career:
- Detects, identifies, and maintains surveillance on low orbiting and deep space satellite vehicles, using optical radar sensors
- Tracks sea launched and intercontinental ballistic missiles using a variety of system peculiar sensors
- Plans satellite contacts, resolves emergencies, and performs satellite commanding during launch, early orbit, daily operations, and end-of-life testing
- Performs launch and on-orbit operations for military communications and global positioning system satellites
- Provides on-orbit telemetry, tracking, and commanding for satellite systems
- Supports spacelift and aeronautical testing to fulfill warfighting and commercial users
- Validates and enhances warfighter capabilities through testing and evaluation of space systems
- Replicates adversary’s space capabilities to improve combat training and increase awareness of threats from space
- Oversees space surveillance, space lift, space warning, and satellite command and control
- Develops future plans for systems, facilities, and personnel