Survival equipment specialists in the Military inspect, fit, maintain, and repair survival equipment, such as parachutes, aircraft life support equipment, search and rescue equipment, and air-sea rescue equipment, along with survival kits, medical kits, flight clothing, protective wear, night vision equipment, aircrew oxygen systems, liquid oxygen converters, anti-exposure suits, and G-suits.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster National Security pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inventories, cleans, receives, stores, and issues all equipment used in airdrop operations
- Installs, inspects, and tests extraction and release systems
- Performs technical, routine, and in-storage rigger-type inspection on cargo, extraction, and personnel parachutes as well as other airdrop equipment before, during, and after each use
- Uses and maintains machines and tools for fabrication, modification, and repair to parachute and other airdrop equipment
- Inspects, maintains, and repairs parachutes, seat pans, survival equipment, and flight and protective clothing and equipment
- Troubleshoots oxygen systems, repairs and tests oxygen regulators and liquid oxygen converters removed from aircraft
- Operates and repairs sewing machines
- Plans, directs, organizes, and evaluates AFE operational aspects, such as equipment accountability, personnel reliability, mobility readiness, and other activities necessary to meet operational readiness
- Inspects, services, maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs: cargo aerial delivery systems, drag parachute systems, aircraft oxygen systems, helicopter emergency flotation systems, portable dewatering pumps, air-sea rescue kits, and special-purpose protective clothing
- Inspects, maintains, packs, and adjusts aircrew flight equipment, such as flight helmets, oxygen masks, parachutes, flotation devices, survival kits, helmet-mounted devices, aircrew night vision and other ocular systems, anti-G garments, aircrew vision and respiratory protective equipment, chemical biological protective oxygen masks and coveralls, other types of Aircrew Flight Equipment, and aircrew chemical defense systems