Provides inpatient care, predominantly in settings such as medical wards; acute care units; intensive care units; rehabilitation centers; or emergency rooms. Manages and coordinates patient care throughout treatment.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Diagnoses, treats, or provides continuous care to hospital inpatients.
- Prescribes medications or treatment regimens to hospital inpatients.
- Admits patients for hospital stays.
- Orders or interprets the results of tests such as laboratory tests and radiographs (x-rays).
- Conducts discharge planning and discharges patients.
- Refers patients to medical specialists, social services or other professionals as appropriate.
- Writes patient discharge summaries and sends them to primary care physicians.
- Attends inpatient consultations in areas of specialty.
- Communicates with patients' primary care physicians upon admission, when treatment plans change, or at discharge to maintain continuity and quality of care.
- Participates in continuing education activities to maintain or enhance knowledge and skills.