Diagnoses, treats, and helps prevent diseases and injuries that commonly occur in the general population. May refer patients to specialists when needed for further diagnosis or treatment.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prescribes or administers treatment, therapy, medication, vaccination, and other medical care to treat and prevent illness, disease, and injury.
- Orders, performs, and interprets tests and analyzes records, reports, and examination information to diagnose patients' condition.
- Collects, records, and maintains patient information such as medical history, reports, and examination results.
- Monitors a patient's condition and progress, and re-evaluates treatments as necessary.
- Explains procedures and discusses test results or prescribed treatments with patients.
- Advises patients and community members concerning diet, activity, hygiene, and disease prevention.
- Refers patients to medical specialists or other practitioners when necessary.
- Coordinates work with nurses, social workers, rehabilitation therapists, pharmacists, psychologists, and other health care providers.
- Directs and coordinates activities of nurses, students, assistants, specialists, therapists, and other medical staff.
- Plans, implements, or administers health programs or standards in hospitals, businesses, or communities for prevention or treatment of injury or illness.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.