Sets up and operates motion picture projection and related sound reproduction equipment.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Recreation, Amusements and Attractions pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inserts film into top magazine reel, or threads film through a series of sprockets and guide rollers, attaching the end to a take-up reel.
- Starts projectors and opens shutters to project images onto screens.
- Monitors operations to ensure that standards for sound and image projection quality are met.
- Operates equipment to show films in a number of theaters simultaneously.
- Splices separate film reels, advertisements, and movie trailers together to form a feature-length presentation on one continuous reel.
- Inspects movie films to ensure that they are complete and in good condition.
- Sets up and adjusts picture projectors and screens to achieve proper size, illumination, and focus of images, and proper volume and tone of sound.
- Inspects projection equipment prior to operation to ensure proper working order.
- Performs regular maintenance tasks such as rotating or replacing xenon bulbs, cleaning lenses, lubricating machinery, and keeping electrical contacts clean and tight.
- Removes film splicing to prepare films for shipment after showings and return films to their sources.