Assists lawyers by investigating facts, preparing legal documents, or researching legal precedent. Conducts research to support a legal proceeding, to formulate a defense, or to initiate legal action.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Legal Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares affidavits or other documents, such as legal correspondence, and organizes and maintains documents in paper or electronic filing system.
- Prepares legal documents, including briefs, pleadings, appeals, wills, contracts, and real estate closing statements.
- Prepares for trial by performing tasks such as organizing exhibits.
- Investigates facts and law of cases and searches pertinent sources, such as public records and internet sources, to determine causes of action and to prepare cases.
- Meets with clients and other professionals to discuss details of case.
- Files pleadings with court clerk.
- Gathers and analyzes research data, such as statutes, decisions, and legal articles, codes, and documents.
- Directs and coordinates law office activity, including delivery of subpoenas.
- Calls upon witnesses to testify at hearing.
- Arbitrates disputes between parties and assists in the real estate closing process, such as by reviewing title searches.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.