Plans, coordinates, or edits content of material for publication. May review proposals and drafts for possible publication. Includes technical editors.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Journalism and Broadcasting pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reads copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
- Verifies facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
- Reads, evaluates and edits manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confers with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
- Develops story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
- Prepares, rewrites and edits copy to improve readability, or supervises others who do this work.
- Oversees publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
- Writes text, such as stories, articles, editorials, or newsletters.
- Supervises and coordinates work of reporters and other editors.
- Confers with management and editorial staff members regarding placement and emphasis of developing news stories.
- Plans the contents of publications according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.