Compiles records, sorts, shelves, issues, and receives library materials such as books, electronic media, pictures, cards, slides and microfilm. Locates library materials for loan and replaces material in shelving area, stacks, or files according to identification number and title. Registers patrons to permit them to borrow books, periodicals, and other library materials.
This career is part of the Business Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Sorts books, publications, and other items according to established procedure and returns them to shelves, files, or other designated storage areas.
- Opens and closes library during specified hours and secures library equipment, such as computers and audio-visual equipment.
- Locates library materials for patrons, including books, periodicals, tape cassettes, Braille volumes, and pictures.
- Enters and updates patrons' records on computers.
- Answers routine inquiries and refers patrons in need of professional assistance to librarians.
- Manages reserve materials by placing items on reserve for library patrons, checking items in and out of library, and removing out-dated items.
- Lends, reserves, and collects books, periodicals, videotapes, and other materials at circulation desks and processes materials for inter-library loans.
- Inspects returned books for condition and due-date status and computes any applicable fines.
- Instructs patrons on how to use reference sources, card catalogs, and automated information systems.
- Maintains records of items received, stored, issued, and returned and files catalog cards according to system used.