Sets up, operates, or tends welding, soldering, or brazing machines or robots that weld, braze, solder, or heat treat metal products, components, or assemblies. Includes workers who operate laser cutters or laser-beam machines.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects, measures, or tests completed metal workpieces to ensure conformance to specifications, using measuring and testing devices.
- Reads blueprints, work orders, or production schedules to determine product or job instructions or specifications.
- Assembles, aligns, and clamps workpieces into holding fixtures to bond, heat-treat, or solder fabricated metal components.
- Sets up, operates, or tends welding machines that join or bond components to fabricate metal products or assemblies.
- Lays out, fits, or connects parts to be bonded, calculating production measurements as necessary.
- Corrects problems by adjusting controls or by stopping machines and opening holding devices.
- Gives directions to other workers regarding machine set-up and use.
- Selects, positions, aligns, and bolts jigs, holding fixtures, guides, or stops onto machines, using measuring instruments and hand tools.
- Marks weld points and positions of components on workpieces, using rules, squares, templates, or scribes.
- Transfers components, metal products, or assemblies, using moving equipment.