Applies theory and principles of mechanical engineering to modify, develop, test, or calibrate machinery and equipment under direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Discusses changes in design, method of manufacture and assembly, and drafting techniques and procedures with staff and coordinate corrections.
- Calculates required capacities for equipment of proposed system to obtain specified performance and submits data to engineering personnel for approval.
- Reviews project instructions and blueprints to ascertain test specifications, procedures, and objectives, and tests nature of technical problems such as redesign.
- Drafts detail drawing or sketch for drafting room completion or to request parts fabrication by machine, sheet or wood shops.
- Analyzes test results in relation to design or rated specifications and tests objectives, and modifies or adjusts equipment to meet specifications.
- Records test procedures and results, numerical and graphical data, and recommendations for changes in product or test methods.
- Confers with technicians and submits reports of test results to engineering department and recommends design or material changes.
- Reads dials and meters to determine amperage, voltage, electrical output and input at specific operating temperature to analyze parts performance.
- Reviews project instructions and specifications to identify, modify and plan requirements fabrication, assembly and testing.
- Sets up and conducts tests of complete units and components under operational conditions to investigate proposals for improving equipment performance.