Assists engineers in determining the practicality of proposed product design changes and plan and carry out tests on experimental test devices or equipment for performance, durability, or efficiency.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Analyzes performance of vehicles or components that have been redesigned to increase fuel efficiency, such as camless or dual-clutch engines or alternative types of air-conditioning systems.
- Analyzes test data for automotive systems, subsystems, or component parts.
- Builds instrumentation or laboratory test equipment for special purposes.
- Documents test results, using cameras, spreadsheets, documents, or other tools.
- Fabricates new or modifies existing prototype components or fixtures.
- Improves fuel efficiency by testing vehicles or components that use lighter materials, such as aluminum, magnesium alloy, or plastic.
- Inspects or tests parts to determine nature or cause of defects or malfunctions.
- Installs equipment, such as instrumentation, test equipment, engines, or aftermarket products, to ensure proper interfaces.
- Maintains test equipment in operational condition by performing routine maintenance or making minor repairs or adjustments as needed.
- Monitors computer-controlled test equipment, according to written or verbal instructions.