Installs, diagnoses, or repairs communications, sound, security, or navigation equipment in motor vehicles.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Facility and Mobile Equipment Maintenance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Installs equipment and accessories such as stereos, navigation equipment, communication equipment, and security systems.
- Inspects and tests electrical or electronic systems to locate and diagnose malfunctions, using visual inspections and testing instruments such as oscilloscopes and voltmeters.
- Cuts openings and drills holes for fixtures and equipment, using electric drills and routers.
- Splices wires with knives or cutting pliers, and solders connections to fixtures and equipment.
- Diagnoses or repairs problems with electronic equipment, such as sound, navigation, communication, and security equipment, in motor vehicles.
- Runs new speaker and electrical cables.
- Confers with customers to determine the nature of malfunctions.
- Removes seats, carpeting, and interiors of doors and add sound-absorbing material in empty spaces, reinstalling interior parts.
- Records results of diagnostic tests.
- Estimates costs of repairs based on parts and labor charges.