Designs clothing and accessories. Creates original designs or adapts fashion trends.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Visual Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Directs and coordinates workers involved in drawing and cutting patterns and constructing samples or finished garments.
- Examines sample garments on and off models, modifying designs to achieve desired effects.
- Sketches rough and detailed drawings of apparel or accessories, and writes specifications such as color schemes, construction, material types, and accessory requirements.
- Confers with sales and management executives or with clients to discuss design ideas.
- Attends fashion shows and reviews garment magazines and manuals to gather information about fashion trends and consumer preferences.
- Identifies target markets for designs, looking at factors such as age, gender, and socioeconomic status.
- Selects materials and production techniques to be used for products.
- Provides sample garments to agents and sales representatives, and arranges for showings of sample garments at sales meetings or fashion shows.
- Adapts other designers' ideas for the mass market.
- Purchases new or used clothing and accessory items as needed to complete designs.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.