Directly supervises and coordinates activities of agricultural crop or horticultural workers.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Food Products and Processing Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Assigns duties, such as cultivation, irrigation, or harvesting of crops or plants, product packaging or grading, or equipment maintenance.
- Trains workers in techniques such as planting, harvesting, weeding, or insect identification and in the use of safety measures.
- Confers with managers to evaluate weather or soil conditions, to develop plans or procedures, or to discuss issues such as changes in fertilizers, herbicides, or cultivating techniques.
- Inspects crops, fields, or plant stock to determine conditions and need for cultivating, spraying, weeding, or harvesting.
- Reviews employees' work to evaluate quality and quantity.
- Observes workers to detect inefficient or unsafe work procedures or to identify problems, initiating corrective action as necessary.
- Drives or operates farm machinery, such as trucks, tractors, or self-propelled harvesters, to transport workers or supplies or to cultivate or harvest fields.
- Estimates labor requirements for jobs and plans work schedules accordingly.
- Plans or supervises infrastructure or collection maintenance functions, such as planting, fertilizing, pest or weed control, or landscaping.
- Reads inventory records, customer orders, or shipping schedules to determine required activities.