Diagnoses, inspects, adjusts, repairs, or overhauls recreational vehicles including travel trailers. May specialize in maintaining gas, electrical, hydraulic, plumbing, or chassis/towing systems as well as repairing generators, appliances, and interior components. Includes workers who perform customized van conversions.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Facility and Mobile Equipment Maintenance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Explains proper operation of vehicle systems to customers.
- Locates and repairs frayed wiring, broken connections, or incorrect wiring, using ohmmeters, soldering irons, tape, or hand tools.
- Confers with customers, reads work orders, or examines vehicles needing repair to determine the nature and extent of damage.
- Repairs plumbing or propane gas lines, using caulking compounds and plastic or copper pipe.
- Examines or tests operation of parts or systems to ensure completeness of repairs.
- Connects electrical systems to outside power sources and activates switches to test the operation of appliances or light fixtures.
- Connects water hoses to inlet pipes of plumbing systems and tests operation of toilets or sinks.
- Inspects recreational vehicles to diagnose problems and performs necessary adjustment, repair, or overhaul.
- Inspects, repairs, or replaces brake systems.
- Diagnoses and repairs furnace or air conditioning systems.