Mixes and serves drinks to patrons, directly or through waitstaff.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cleans glasses, utensils, and bar equipment.
- Collects money for drinks served.
- Balances cash receipts.
- Checks identification of customers to verify age requirements for purchase of alcohol.
- Cleans bars, work areas, and tables.
- Attempts to limit problems and liability related to customers' excessive drinking by taking steps such as persuading customers to stop drinking, or ordering taxis or other transportation for intoxicated patrons.
- Takes beverage orders from serving staff or directly from patrons.
- Serves wine, and bottled or draft beer.
- Plans, organizes, and controls the operations of a cocktail lounge or bar.
- Stocks bar with beer, wine, liquor, and related supplies such as ice, glassware, napkins, or straws.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.