Constructs, assembles, maintains, and repairs stationary steam boilers and boiler house auxiliaries. Aligns structures or plate sections to assemble boiler frame tanks or vats, following blueprints. Work involves use of hand and power tools, plumb bobs, levels, wedges, dogs, or turnbuckles. Assists in testing assembled vessels. Directs cleaning of boilers and boiler furnaces. Inspects and repairs boiler fittings, such as safety valves, regulators, automatic-control mechanisms, water columns, and auxiliary machines.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Maintenance/Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Attaches rigging and signals crane or hoist operators to lift heavy frame and plate sections or other parts into place.
- Studies blueprints to determine locations, relationships, or dimensions of parts.
- Repairs or replaces defective pressure vessel parts, such as safety valves or regulators, using torches, jacks, caulking hammers, power saws, threading dies, welding equipment, or metalworking machinery.
- Locates and marks reference points for columns or plates on boiler foundations, following blueprints and using straightedges, squares, transits, or measuring instruments.
- Bolts or arc welds pressure vessel structures and parts together, using wrenches or welding equipment.
- Positions, aligns, and secures structural parts or related assemblies to boiler frames, tanks, or vats of pressure vessels, following blueprints.
- Installs manholes, handholes, taps, tubes, valves, gauges, or feedwater connections in drums of water tube boilers, using hand tools.
- Shapes or fabricates parts, such as stacks, uptakes, or chutes, to adapt pressure vessels, heat exchangers, or piping to premises, using heavy-metalworking machines such as brakes, rolls, or drill presses.
- Assembles large vessels in an on-site fabrication shop prior to installation to ensure proper fit.
- Lays out plate, sheet steel, or other heavy metal and locates and marks bending and cutting lines, using protractors, compasses, and drawing instruments or templates.