Develops and designs manufactured products such as cars, home appliances, and children's toys. Combines artistic talent with research of product use, marketing, and materials to create functional and appealing product designs.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Audio and Video Technology and Film pathway, Visual Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares sketches of ideas, detailed drawings, illustrations, artwork, or blueprints, using drafting instruments, paints and brushes, or computer-aided design equipment.
- Confers with engineering, marketing, production, or sales departments, or with customers, to establish and evaluate design concepts for manufactured products.
- Modifies and refines designs, using working models, to conform with customer specifications, production limitations, or changes in design trends.
- Directs and coordinates the fabrication of models or samples and the drafting of working drawings and specification sheets from sketches.
- Evaluates feasibility of design ideas, based on factors such as appearance, safety, function, serviceability, budget, production costs/methods, and market characteristics.
- Presents designs and reports to customers or design committees for approval and discuss need for modification.
- Investigates product characteristics such as the product's safety and handling qualities, its market appeal, how efficiently it can be produced, and ways of distributing, using and maintaining it.
- Develops manufacturing procedures and monitors the manufacture of their designs in a factory to improve operations and product quality.
- Researches production specifications, costs, production materials and manufacturing methods and provides cost estimates and itemized production requirements.
- Participates in new product planning or market research, including studying the potential need for new products.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.