Drives ambulance or assists ambulance driver in transporting sick, injured, or convalescent persons. Assists in lifting patients.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Transportation Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Removes and replaces soiled linens or equipment to maintain sanitary conditions.
- Drives ambulances or assists ambulance drivers in transporting sick, injured, or convalescent persons.
- Reports facts concerning accidents or emergencies to hospital personnel or law enforcement officials.
- Places patients on stretchers and loads stretchers into ambulances, usually with assistance from other attendants.
- Accompanies and assists emergency medical technicians on calls.
- Replaces supplies and disposable items on ambulances.
- Performs minor maintenance on emergency medical services vehicles, such as ambulances.
- Cleans and washes rigs, ambulances, or equipment.
- Earns and maintains appropriate certifications.
- Administers first aid, such as bandaging, splinting, or administering oxygen.