Cuts or carves stone according to diagrams and patterns.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Verifies depths and dimensions of cuts or carvings to ensure adherence to specifications, blueprints, or models, using measuring instruments.
- Moves fingers over surfaces of carvings to ensure smoothness of finish.
- Shapes, trims, or touches up roughed-out designs with appropriate tools to finish carvings.
- Lays out designs or dimensions from sketches or blueprints on stone surfaces, by freehand or by transferring them from tracing paper, using scribes or chalk and measuring instruments.
- Cuts, shapes, and finishes rough blocks of building or monumental stone, according to diagrams or patterns.
- Drills holes and cuts or carves moldings and grooves in stone, according to diagrams and patterns.
- Selects chisels, pneumatic or surfacing tools, or sandblasting nozzles and determine sequence of use.
- Studies artistic objects or graphic materials, such as models, sketches, or blueprints, to plan carving or cutting techniques.
- Carves designs or figures in full or bas relief on stone, employing knowledge of stone carving techniques and sense of artistry to produce carvings consistent with designers' plans.
- Carves rough designs freehand or by chipping along marks on stone, using mallets and chisels or pneumatic tools.