Prepares, sterilizes, installs or cleans laboratory or healthcare equipment. May perform routine laboratory tasks and operate or inspect equipment.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Support Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Operates and maintains steam autoclaves, keeping records of loads completed, items in loads, and maintenance procedures performed.
- Cleans instruments to prepare them for sterilization.
- Records sterilizer test results.
- Organizes and assembles routine or specialty surgical instrument trays or other sterilized supplies, filling special requests as needed.
- Examines equipment to detect leaks, worn or loose parts, or other indications of disrepair.
- Reports defective equipment to appropriate supervisors or staff.
- Maintains records of inventory or equipment usage and orders medical instruments or supplies when inventory is low.
- Stocks crash carts or other medical supplies.
- Starts equipment and observes gauges and equipment operation to detect malfunctions and to ensure equipment is operating to prescribed standards.
- Checks sterile supplies to ensure that they are not outdated.