Diagnoses, adjusts, repairs, or overhauls mobile mechanical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment, such as cranes, bulldozers, graders, and conveyors, used in construction, logging, and surface mining.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Facility and Mobile Equipment Maintenance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Repairs and replaces damaged or worn parts.
- Tests mechanical products and equipment after repair or assembly to ensure proper performance and compliance with manufacturers' specifications.
- Operates and inspects machines or heavy equipment to diagnose defects.
- Reads and understands operating manuals, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- Dismantles and reassembles heavy equipment using hoists and hand tools.
- Overhauls and tests machines or equipment to ensure operating efficiency.
- Adjusts, maintains, and repairs or replaces subassemblies, such as transmissions and crawler heads, using hand tools, jacks, and cranes.
- Repairs, rewires, and troubleshoots electrical systems.
- Diagnoses faults or malfunctions to determine required repairs, using engine diagnostic equipment such as computerized test equipment and calibration devices.
- Examines parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.