Inspects and monitors transportation equipment, vehicles, or systems to ensure compliance with regulations and safety standards.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster Governance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects vehicles or other equipment for evidence of abuse, damage, or mechanical malfunction.
- Inspects vehicles or equipment to ensure compliance with rules, standards, or regulations.
- Inspects repairs to transportation vehicles or equipment to ensure that repair work was performed properly.
- Identifies modifications to engines, fuel systems, emissions control equipment, or other vehicle systems to determine the impact of modifications on inspection procedures or conclusions.
- Performs low-pressure fuel evaluative tests (LPFET) to test for harmful emissions from vehicles without onboard diagnostics (OBD) equipment.
- Conducts remote inspections of motor vehicles, using handheld controllers and remotely directed vehicle inspection devices.
- Prepares reports on investigations or inspections and actions taken.
- Monitors or reviews output from systems, such as Thermal Imaging Units (TIU) or roadside imaging tools, to identify high risk commercial motor vehicles for follow-up inspections.
- Issues notices and recommends corrective actions when infractions or problems are found.
- Compares emissions findings with applicable emissions standards.