Ensures the safe takeoff and landing of commercial and military aircraft. Duties include coordination between air-traffic control and maintenance personnel; dispatching; using airfield landing and navigational aids; implementing airfield safety procedures; monitoring and maintaining flight records; and applying knowledge of weather information.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Transportation Systems/Infrastructure Planning, Management and Regulation pathway.
A person in this career:
- Implements airfield safety procedures to ensure a safe operating environment for personnel and aircraft operation.
- Assists in responding to aircraft and medical emergencies.
- Manages wildlife on and around airport grounds.
- Coordinates with agencies such as air traffic control, civil engineers, and command posts to ensure support of airfield management activities.
- Plans and coordinates airfield construction.
- Performs and supervises airfield management activities, including mobile airfield management functions.
- Coordinates communications between air traffic control and maintenance personnel.
- Trains operations staff.
- Monitors the arrival, parking, refueling, loading, and departure of all aircraft.
- Provides aircrews with information and services needed for airfield management and flight planning.