Mixes and bakes ingredients to produce breads, rolls, cookies, cakes, pies, pastries, or other baked goods.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Checks products for quality and identifies damaged or expired goods.
- Sets oven temperatures and places items into hot ovens for baking.
- Combines measured ingredients in bowls of mixing, blending, or cooking machinery.
- Places dough in pans, molds, or on sheets and bakes in production ovens or on grills.
- Sets time and speed controls for mixing machines, blending machines, or steam kettles so that ingredients will be mixed or cooked according to instructions.
- Measures or weighs flour or other ingredients to prepare batters, doughs, fillings, or icings, using scales or graduated containers.
- Observes color of products being baked and adjusts oven temperatures, humidity, or conveyor speeds accordingly.
- Checks the quality of raw materials to ensure that standards and specifications are met.
- Checks equipment to ensure that it meets health and safety regulations and performs maintenance or cleaning, as necessary.
- Adapts the quantity of ingredients to match the amount of items to be baked.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.