Skip to main content

3. Know Your Responsibilities

What if my circumstances change?

If you experience a change in circumstances -- such as a job loss, an illness, a divorce, or a death in the family -- contact your college's financial aid office. They may review your file to determine whether you qualify for additional financial assistance. Learn more about special financial circumstances or unusual circumstances on the Federal Student Aid website.

SWFYou can find more information for students with special circumstances or those experiencing homelessness at

If you are in repayment on a student loan, you must keep your lender or servicer aware of any changes in your circumstances, including job loss, illness, inability to pay, and changes to your contact information (permanent address or phone number).

If you've accepted federal student loans, log into your Federal Student Aid account to find contact information for your servicer.

FAFSA button OKP button


  • Email Support

  • 1-800-GO-TO-XAP (1-800-468-6927)
    From outside the U.S., please call +1 (424) 750-3900


Powered by XAP

OCAP believes that financial literacy and understanding the financial aid process are critical aspects of college planning and student success. OCAP staff who work with students, parents, educators and community partners in the areas of personal finance education, state and federal financial aid, and student loan management do not provide financial, investment, legal, and/or tax advice. This website and all information provided is for general educational purposes only, and is not intended to be construed as financial, investment, legal, and/or tax advice.