Inspired to Teach
Inspired to Teach was established by the Oklahoma legislature as
an incentive to encourage the preparation of teachers in the public
schools of Oklahoma.
In order to qualify for the Inspired to Teach program,
- Graduate from a high school, a home school, or earn a GED.
- Meet higher education admission standards at: 1) a public or
private Oklahoma university with an accredited Oklahoma teacher
education program, or 2) a community college with an approved
articulation agreement with an accredited Oklahoma university
teacher education program.
- Declare a major in an accredited Oklahoma university teacher
education program with a degree leading to a standard teaching
certificate or declare a major at a community college with an
approved Inspired to Teach articulation agreement with an
accredited Oklahoma teacher education program leading to a standard
Oklahoma teaching certificate.
- Be enrolled as a full-time (12 credit hours per semester)
undergraduate student each semester of eligibility in the
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and a minimum 2.5
GPA throughout matriculation.
- Prior to entry into the Inspired to Teach program, the student
shall agree to complete the Oklahoma teacher preparation education
program and agree to teach in an Oklahoma public prekindergarten
through 12th grade (PK-12) school for a minimum of five (5)
consecutive years upon graduation and licensure as a teacher.
- Applicants must apply through their institution's Inspired to
Teach Program Coordinator.
- Application deadlines are established by OSRHE each semester
and typically fall shortly after enrollment lock-in.
- Institutions will submit scholarship applications to OSRHE, and
will certify continuing eligibility for their current participants
- OSRHE will notify institutions and participants of awards.
Amount of Scholarship
The Inspired to Teach scholarship is a tiered award system
dependent on the hours earned toward the degree:
||Hours Completed toward Baccalaureate Degree
||Annual Maximum Award
||Min. 12 Hours Enrolled
||24-47 Hours Earned
||48-89 Hours Earned
||> 90 Hours Earned
*Students completing their student teaching internship will
automatically be considered enrolled full-time for the purpose of
this program. Students who have completed their student teaching
internship and have been approved to take less than twelve hours to
complete their degree prior to certification will also be
considered full-time for the purpose of this program. Students with
an approved accommodation on file with their institution's
Disabilities Office may participate in the program if enrolled less
than full-time. Documentation of the approved accommodation must be
submitted to OSRHE.
Employment Incentive Component
In order to qualify for the employment incentive portion of the
program, participants must:
- Apply and continually participate in the Inspired to Teach
scholarship program prior to completing the teacher education
- Complete graduation requirements for a teacher education
preparation degree program.
- Complete the Oklahoma standard teaching certification
- Secure employment teaching in an Oklahoma public Pre-K-12
school district within 13 months of graduating college.
Amount of Incentive Payment
Eligible participants will receive up to $4,000 after each year of
completed service teaching in an Oklahoma public school district
for up to five years (for a maximum possible $20,000 in incentive
payments over the five-year period).
I2T Frequently Asked
Program Coordinator List
For Further Information
Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
800.858.1840 (405.225.9239 Oklahoma City area)