Directs and coordinates, through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities of workers engaged in fish hatchery production for corporations, cooperatives, or other owners.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Agribusiness Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Grows fish and shellfish as cash crops or for release into freshwater or saltwater.
- Monitors environments to ensure maintenance of optimum conditions for aquatic life.
- Supervises and trains aquaculture and fish hatchery support workers.
- Determines, administers, and executes policies relating to operations administration and standards, and facility maintenance.
- Collects and records growth, production, and environmental data.
- Directs and monitors trapping and spawning of fish, egg incubation, and fry rearing, applying knowledge of management and fish culturing techniques.
- Accounts for and disburses funds.
- Directs and monitors the transfer of mature fish to lakes, ponds, streams, or commercial tanks.
- Determines how to allocate resources and to respond to unanticipated problems, such as insect infestation, drought, and fire.
- Conducts and supervises stock examinations to identify diseases or parasites.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.