Performs and directs in-flight duties to ensure the successful completion of combat, reconnaissance, transport, and search and rescue missions. Duties include operating aircraft communications and radar equipment, such as establishing satellite linkages and jamming enemy communications capabilities; operating aircraft weapons and defensive systems; conducting pre-flight, in-flight, and post-flight inspections of onboard equipment; and directing cargo and personnel drops.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster National Security pathway.
A person in this career:
- Supervises the operation of aircraft communication and radar equipment.
- Directs the operation and maintenance of aircraft defensive gunnery systems.
- Supervises operation of helicopter hoists to lift equipment and personnel from land and sea.
- Monitors operation and maintenance of aircraft in-flight refueling systems.
- Supervises the maintenance of flight operations equipment.
- Analyses and classifies data.