Directs and conducts instrumental or vocal performances by musical groups, such as orchestras or choirs.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Uses gestures to shape the music being played, communicating desired tempo, phrasing, tone, color, pitch, volume, and other performance aspects.
- Directs groups at rehearsals and live or recorded performances to achieve desired effects such as tonal and harmonic balance dynamics, rhythm, and tempo.
- Studies scores to learn the music in detail, and to develop interpretations.
- Considers such factors as ensemble size and abilities, availability of scores, and the need for musical variety, to select music to be performed.
- Auditions and selects performers for musical presentations.
- Plans and schedules rehearsals and performances, and arranges details such as locations, accompanists, and instrumentalists.
- Positions members within groups to obtain balance among instrumental or vocal sections.
- Performs administrative tasks such as applying for grants, developing budgets, negotiating contracts, and designing and printing programs and other promotional materials.
- Meets with soloists and concertmasters to discuss and prepare for performances.
- Meets with composers to discuss interpretations of their work.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.