Creates new dance routines. Rehearses performance of routines. May direct and stage presentations.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Directs rehearsals to instruct dancers in how to use dance steps, and in techniques to achieve desired effects.
- Teaches students, dancers, and other performers about rhythm and interpretive movement.
- Chooses the music, sound effects, or spoken narrative to accompany a dance.
- Advises dancers on how to stand and move properly, teaching correct dance techniques to help prevent injuries.
- Designs dances for individual dancers, dance companies, musical theatre, opera, fashion shows, film, television productions, and special events, and for dancers ranging from beginners to professionals.
- Seeks influences from other art forms such as theatre, the visual arts, and architecture.
- Experiments with different types of dancers, steps, dances, and placements, testing ideas informally to get feedback from dancers.
- Trains, exercises, and attends dance classes to maintain high levels of technical proficiency, physical ability, and physical fitness.
- Develops ideas for creating dances, keeping notes and sketches to record influences.
- Directs and stages dance presentations for various forms of entertainment.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.