Diagnoses, adjusts, repairs, or overhauls motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, dirt bikes, or similar motorized vehicles.
This career is part of the Transportation, Distribution and Logistics cluster Facility and Mobile Equipment Maintenance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Mounts, balances, changes, or checks condition or pressure of tires.
- Listens to engines, examines vehicle frames, or confers with customers to determine nature and extent of malfunction or damage.
- Replaces defective parts, using hand tools, arbor presses, flexible power presses, or power tools.
- Repairs or adjusts motorcycle subassemblies, such as forks, transmissions, brakes, or drive chains, according to specifications.
- Repairs or replaces other parts, such as headlights, horns, handlebar controls, gasoline or oil tanks, starters, or mufflers.
- Dismantles engines and repairs or replaces defective parts, such as magnetos, carburetors, or generators.
- Connects test panels to engines and measures generator output, ignition timing, or other engine performance indicators.
- Disassembles subassembly units and examines condition, movement, or alignment of parts, visually or using gauges.
- Removes cylinder heads and grinds valves to scrape off carbon and replace defective valves, pistons, cylinders, or rings, using hand and power tools.
- Reassembles frames and reinstalls engines after repairs.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.