Performs secretarial duties using legal terminology, procedures, and documents. Prepares legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, motions, and subpoenas. May also assist with legal research.
This career is part of the Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security cluster Legal Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares, proofreads, or processes legal documents, such as summonses, subpoenas, complaints, appeals, motions, or pretrial agreements.
- Mails, faxes, or arranges for delivery of legal correspondence to clients, witnesses, and court officials.
- Receives and places telephone calls.
- Schedules and makes appointments.
- Organizes and maintains law libraries, documents, and case files.
- Makes photocopies of correspondence, documents, and other printed matter.
- Assists attorneys in collecting information such as employment, medical, and other records.
- Drafts and types office memos.
- Completes various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients.
- Prepares and distributes invoices to bill clients or pay account expenses.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.