Sets up and operates digital, letterpress, lithographic, flexographic, gravure, or other printing machines. Includes short-run offset printing presses.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Printing Technology pathway.
A person in this career:
- Collects and inspects random samples during print runs to identify any necessary adjustments.
- Examines job orders to determine quantities to be printed, stock specifications, colors, or special printing instructions.
- Verifies that paper and ink meet the specifications for a given job.
- Starts presses and pulls proofs to check for ink coverage and density, alignment, and registration.
- Changes press plates, blankets, or cylinders, as required.
- Obtains or mixes inks and fills ink fountains.
- Feeds paper through press cylinders and adjusts feed and tension controls.
- Loads presses with paper and makes necessary adjustments, according to paper size.
- Secures printing plates to printing units and adjusts tolerances.
- Cleans ink fountains, plates, or printing unit cylinders when press runs are completed.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.