Operates or tends cementing and gluing machines to join items for further processing or to form a completed product. Processes include joining veneer sheets into plywood; gluing paper; joining rubber and rubberized fabric parts, plastic, simulated leather, or other materials.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Production pathway.
A person in this career:
- Aligns and positions materials being joined to ensure accurate application of adhesive or heat sealing.
- Adjusts machine components according to specifications such as widths, lengths, and thickness of materials and amounts of glue, cement, or adhesive required.
- Monitors machine operations to detect malfunctions and report or resolve problems.
- Starts machines, and turns valves or moves controls to feed, admit, apply, or transfer materials and adhesives, and to adjust temperature, pressure, and time settings.
- Fills machines with glue, cement, or adhesives.
- Performs test production runs and make adjustments as necessary to ensure that completed products meet standards and specifications.
- Examines and measures completed materials or products to verify conformance to specifications, using measuring devices such as tape measures, gauges, or calipers.
- Reads work orders and communicates with coworkers to determine machine and equipment settings and adjustments and supply and product specifications.
- Removes and stacks completed materials or products, and restocks materials to be joined.
- Observes gauges, meters, and control panels to obtain information about equipment temperatures and pressures, or the speed of feeders or conveyors.