Applies makeup to performers to reflect period, setting, and situation of their role.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Applies makeup to enhance or alter the appearance of people appearing in productions such as movies.
- Selects desired makeup shades from stock, or mix oil, grease, and coloring to achieve specific color effects.
- Duplicates work precisely to replicate characters' appearances on a daily basis.
- Cleanses and tones the skin to prepare it for makeup application.
- Assesses performers' skin type to ensure that makeup will not cause break-outs or skin irritations.
- Studies production information, such as character descriptions, period settings, and situations, to determine makeup requirements.
- Alters or maintains makeup during productions as necessary to compensate for lighting changes or to achieve continuity of effect.
- Analyzes a script, noting events that affect each character's appearance, so that plans can be made for each scene.
- Confers with stage or motion picture officials and performers to determine desired effects.
- Establishes budgets, and works within budgetary limits.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.