Tests the safety of structures, vehicles, or vessels using x-ray, ultrasound, fiber optic or related equipment.
This career is part of the Manufacturing cluster Manufacturing Production Process Development pathway.
A person in this career:
- Interprets or evaluates test results in accordance with applicable codes, standards, specifications, or procedures.
- Interprets the results of all methods of non-destructive testing (NDT) such as acoustic emission, electromagnetic, leak, liquid penetrant, magnetic particle, neutron radiographic, radiographic, thermal or infrared, ultrasonic, vibration analysis, and visual testing.
- Examines structures or vehicles such as aircraft, trains, nuclear reactors, bridges, dams, and pipelines using non-destructive testing (NDT) techniques.
- Selects, calibrates, or operates equipment used in the non-destructive testing (NDT) of products or materials.
- Identifies defects in solid materials using ultrasonic testing techniques.
- Prepares reports on non-destructive testing (NDT) results.
- Documents non-destructive testing (NDT) methods, processes, or results.
- Supervises or directs the work of non-destructive testing (NDT) trainees or staff.
- Makes radiographic images to detect flaws in objects while leaving objects intact.
- Produces images of objects on film using radiographic techniques.