Prepares detailed drawings of architectural designs and plans for buildings and structures according to specifications provided by architect.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Design/Pre-Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Operates computer-aided drafting (CAD) equipment or conventional drafting station to produce designs, working drawings, charts, forms, and records.
- Analyzes building codes, by-laws, space and site requirements, and other technical documents and reports to determine their effect on architectural designs.
- Coordinates structural, electrical, and mechanical designs and determines a method of presentation to graphically represent building plans.
- Draws rough and detailed scale plans for foundations, buildings, and structures, based on preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets, and other data.
- Lays out and plans interior room arrangements for commercial buildings, using computer-assisted drafting (CAD) equipment and software.
- Obtains and assembles data to complete architectural designs, visiting job sites to compile measurements as necessary.
- Supervises, coordinates, and inspects the work of draftspersons, technicians, and technologists on construction projects.
- Determines procedures and instructions to be followed, according to design specifications and quantity of required materials.
- Represents architect on construction site, ensuring builder compliance with design specifications and advising on design corrections, under architect's supervision.
- Checks dimensions of materials to be used and assigns numbers to lists of materials.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.