Assists mentally impaired or emotionally disturbed patients, working under direction of nursing and medical staff.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Records and maintains patient information, such as vital signs, eating habits, behavior, progress notes, treatments, or discharge plans.
- Listens and provides emotional support and encouragement to psychiatric patients.
- Completes physical checks and monitors patients to detect unusual or harmful behavior and reports observations to professional staff.
- Restrains or aids patients as necessary to prevent injury.
- Serves meals or feeds patients needing assistance or persuasion.
- Works as part of a team that may include psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatric nurses, or social workers.
- Cleans and disinfects rooms and furnishings to maintain a safe and orderly environment.
- Provides mentally impaired or emotionally disturbed patients with routine physical, emotional, psychological, or rehabilitation care under the direction of nursing or medical staff.
- Maintains patients' restrictions to assigned areas.
- Provides patients with assistance in bathing, dressing, or grooming, demonstrating these skills as necessary.