Transports patients to areas such as operating rooms or x-ray rooms using wheelchairs, stretchers, or moveable beds. May maintain stocks of supplies or clean and transport equipment.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Support Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Answers patient call signals, signal lights, bells, or intercom systems to determine patients' needs.
- Carries messages or documents between departments.
- Changes soiled linens, such as bed linens, drapes, or cubicle curtains.
- Cleans and sanitizes patient rooms, bathrooms, examination rooms, or other patient areas.
- Cleans equipment, such as wheelchairs, hospital beds, or portable medical equipment, documenting needed repairs or maintenance.
- Collects and transports infectious or hazardous waste in closed containers for sterilization or disposal, in accordance with applicable law, standards, or policies.
- Collects soiled linen or trash.
- Disinfects or sterilizes equipment or supplies, using germicides or sterilizing equipment.
- Lifts or assists others to lift patients to move them on or off beds, examination tables, surgical tables, or stretchers.
- Positions or holds patients in position for surgical preparation.