Instructs or coaches groups or individuals in the fundamentals of sports. Demonstrates techniques and methods of participation. May evaluate athletes' strengths and weaknesses as possible recruits or to improve the athletes' technique to prepare them for competition.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching/Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Provides training direction, encouragement, motivation, and nutritional advice to prepare athletes for games, competitive events, or tours.
- Plans, organizes and conducts practice sessions.
- Explains and enforces safety rules and regulations.
- Plans and directs physical conditioning programs that will enable athletes to achieve maximum performance.
- Instructs individuals or groups in sports rules, game strategies, and performance principles, such as specific ways of moving the body, hands, or feet, to achieve desired results.
- Teaches instructional courses and advises students.
- Evaluates athletes' skills and reviews performance records to determine their fitness and potential in a particular area of athletics.
- Monitors athletes' use of equipment to ensure safe and proper use.
- Adjusts coaching techniques based on the strengths and weaknesses of athletes.
- Keeps abreast of changing rules, techniques, technologies, and philosophies relevant to their sport.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.