Teaches students in one or more subjects in public or private schools at the middle, intermediate, or junior high level, which falls between elementary and senior high school as defined by applicable laws and regulations.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching/Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares students for later grades by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
- Adapts teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate these objectives to students.
- Establishes and enforces rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students.
- Prepares objectives and outlines for courses of study, following curriculum guidelines or requirements of states and schools.
- Prepares, administers, and grades tests and assignments to evaluate students' progress.
- Prepares materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Confers with parents or guardians, other teachers, counselors, and administrators to resolve students' behavioral and academic problems.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct student records as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Instructs through lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in one or more subjects, such as English, mathematics, or social studies.